My Puppy is Using the Bathroom Inside the Crate
If your puppy pees one time in the crate, don’t begin panicking immediately. If it starts to happen more than once or a pattern begins to develop, some aspect of your crate training needs to change.
The very first thing you should do if you notice a pattern of urination inside the crate is to take your puppy to a veterinarian and tell them you want to have your puppy tested for a urinary tract infection. These infections are very common in puppies and once the infection is cleared up, the issue may resolve itself without any further procedures.
Once all medical concerns are ruled out, begin incorporating all of the following protocols until the pooping an peeing in the crate stops:
- Increase the frequency of potty breaks
- Reduce the amount of space the puppy has inside the crate
- Remove bedding from inside the crate
- Feed all of the puppy's meals in the crate.
- Give ample opportunities for the puppy to empty its bladder and bowels before any crating period over an hour
- Schedule feeding and water times to regulate digestion and allow for emptying of the bladder
If you have a young 8-12 week old puppy and need to be gone during the day for several hours, you can place the puppy in a play pen instead of the crate. The crate should be inside the playpen, but the puppy should not be confined inside. It is better to clean up a few accidents until the puppy develops muscle control than have a puppy develop the habit of going to the bathroom inside the crate.
Published on July 23, 2017
2 Free Lessons!
Hi, I'm Tommy Grammer and I have helped thousands of dog owners just like you.
I teach people how to train their dogs and resolve behavior that is causing owners frustration. Sign up for my free tips and as a gift to show you how my methods work, I will send you 2 sample lessons from the members' area!
- Camping With Your Dog
- Canine Good Citizen Program
- Complete Crate Training Guide
- Dog Training Equipment
- Dog Training Tips
- Dog Tricks
- Fearful Behavior
- House Training
- MyDogTrainingSpot Training Program
- Problematic Behavior
- Puppy Training
- Training Demonstrations
- Training With Hand Signals
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- View All